Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Teaching Japanese to speak English

At my current Japanese high school I am the only foreign or native teacher. It is my job to instruct the students on how to improve their pronunciation, intonation, and rhythm of English. It is a fact that Japanese people in general don't have many opportunities to use their English abilities. Japan is an island nation and foreigner visitor concentration is mainly in big cities like Tokyo, Kyoto, and Sapporo. Therefor the motivation level to study spoken English might be lower than in other Asian (mainland) countries. Here in Japan, focus of teaching and studying English is on passing exams with lots of grammatical questions. Acquiring a (more) practical English speaking ability is not considered to be of much importance. Besides teaching spoken English I practice lots of listening exercises with my students so that they are able to understand what is being said in conversations. These listening exercises let students focus on eliciting or being able to catch important keywords in sentences, so that they can almost guess the meaning of what is being said without knowing the meaning of all words. Other exercises ask students to match a sentence they hear with a picture. But most difficult for them is to listen to a longer dialog after which they have to answer a few questions. These questions usually have multiple-choice answers.

I am able to speak three languages and have experienced how useful it is to have these abilities while traveling the globe. Here in Japan I am trying to explain my students the importance of being able to speak English by sharing my experience. Having tried many approaches to get the students to speak English, I found that if there is no pressure, that the students won't really cooperate. I have tried to give them simple interview hand-outs so that they can walk around and interview their classmates, but it is difficult to control the class and almost impossible to check if they're all actually speaking English. Also I have tried whole class activities where I had them line-up and interview each other with a competitive element in it. However, If only a few students refuse to participate, the whole activity just doesn't work properly and very little is learned.

Now the only thing I do is "speaking tests". Students practice short dialogs from a textbook by repeating after me. I explain the meaning of the sentences and proper pronunciation of words. Next is sentence rhythm and intonation. Then the students find a partner they feel comfortable with and practice reading the dialog a few times. The last thing I do is have them repeat on more time after me the whole dialog and then I give them time to memorize their part of the dialog. This is usually only a few sentences and could be done in about twenty minutes if done seriously. The following lesson the whole dialog is review one more time. Most students have practiced at home the day before or in the morning. During the lesson I have all pairs come to me and act out the dialog from memory. I give them points for their pronunciation, rhythm and intonation, and correct memorization. Most student pass the test the first time because if they don't, they have to take it again after school. This they do not like, so most students prepare for the speaking test properly.

I have applied this type of lesson for about a year now and am still very satisfied with the results. Students complained in the beginning but now they are used to it and find ways to make it more amusing for themselves. I stimulate them to use gestures which most of them enjoy very much.

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

Sounds really tough to teach to English to somewhat unwilling participants. How do you think up lesson plans that will be entertaining and educational?

Daniel said...

Thanks for your comment!
Well, tough it is, but lately I'm shifting to more educational and less entertaining. It seems that a more serious lesson with an occasional funny remark gives me more structure and less sleeping students.

Katelyn said...

Sounds like a good plan. ^_^