Thursday, February 5, 2009

Speech Contest

In March there will be an English speech contest at my school. At first only five students applied to participate so I went around the school during break time and spoke to some students who have good English skills. I encouraged about 15 students of the first and second grade to sign up for the English speech contest. Eventually ten more joined the contest.


Yesterday we had a meeting with all English teachers and divided the students and assigned them to the teachers. Assigned Teachers will support the students and correct the written speech content.


I made a summary of important points related to the judging of the speech. Judges will look for, Contents and structure (30 points), delivery and comprehensibility (40 points), pronunciation intonation rhythm (30 points). As most participants are first graders with little experience, I added a list with possible topics.


The winner of the English speech contest will be send to next level at which 24 winners of different high schools from all over Japan will compete. Last year we came in fourth which was the highest place ever for my school. My school principal and English teachers were very proud and pleased. I want to aim for at least a top 10 place, but this really depends on the willingness and abilities of this year's winner.

No comments: